By now I’m sure you’ve all seen the ravings of Vani Hari a.k.a. Food Babe. Her one women campaign to spread fear through nonsense has netted her (in)fame, fortune and influence. Not to mention a pretty strong back lash from the rational side of the internet.
So to test if you’ve been paying attention I thought I’d set a little quiz.
All you have to do is identify, in the list below, genuine Food Babe musings mixed with other random nonsense.
Answers at the bottom of the page.
So here goes, with a nice game of …
Food Babe or Not Food Babe.
1) There is just no acceptable level of any chemical to ingest, ever.
2) Chlorophyll is the first product of light and, therefore, contains more light energy than any other element.
3) Please consider removing this additive from your diet because artificial dyes…Are man-made in a lab with chemicals derived from petroleum (a crude oil product, which also happens to be used in gasoline, diesel fuel, asphalt, and tar).
4) Your brain uses more oxygen than any another organ. If you need to concentrate it is important to keep you oxygen levels high .… Green leaves produce oxygen so if you need to study eat plenty of leafy vegetables to keep that brain well oxygenated.
5) When you look at the ingredients, if you can’t spell it or pronounce it, you probably shouldn’t eat it.
6) With a name like 8-methyl-N-vannillyl-6-nonenamide it’s bound to be a baddie. If you want more evidence of its unpleasantness then you may like to know that it is used by the police to control rioters.
7) Mass produced bread contains Potassium Bromate. Its used to help make the bread light and fluffy. Bromates have been banned as fire retardants in furniture, so how come its still used in the food we eat!?
8) Wheatgrass … is more than 70% chlorophyll which is essential for improving blood sugar problems.
9) For the experiment pictured above, microwaved water produced a similar physical structure to when the words “satan” and “hitler” were repeatedly exposed to the water.
10) You all know that we breath out carbon dioxide. But did you know that it’s an acid? … Whenever I’ve been in a crowded place I cleanse myself of the effects of all that acid breath with a good dose of Spirulina.
11) North Americans deserve to truly eat fresh – not yoga mats.
How did you think you did? Here’s the answers.
1) Genuine Food Babe. An easy one to start with. You can find this little gem in her book. Don’t go out and buy it now.
2) Food babe again. Apparently wheatgrass is a miracle.
3) Food babe. Those nasty men in labs.
4) Not Food babe. Just me trying to channel Gillian McKeith.
5) Food babe. But how are my fellow dyslexics and I going to eat?
6) Not Food babe. That one was me, with tongue firmly in cheek.
7) Not Food babe. Just random nonsense I made up, but sounds good doesn’t it?
9) Food babe! Honesty, has she no shame? We’ll actually she might, since she’s removed offending post from her blog. But luckily the internet forgets nothing.
10) Not Food babe, I just made it up. But Vani does have some odd ideas about Spiriulina.
11) Food babe. What about fresh yoga mats?
How did you do? Tell use you scores in the comments. And play along on twitter with #FoodbabeOrNot
from Chemistry Blog http://ift.tt/1EQ0gZC